Saturday, December 04, 2010

Support group meeting

That time of the month again, and the last one for the year.
A good turn out again, but with 1/2 of the attendees not having done much. Still, summer isn't really good modeling time, its more 'try to get photos for modeling projects while convincing the wife that these locations are a good place to visit' time. This would be easier if the railways had put their yards in more scenic spots and not run down industrial estates.

Anyhoo. thanks to the chap I normally get a lift with, I was able to to take my first 2 modules out to show off my track making. Another chap brought along some pencil drawings that his father had done based on the photos of the Rimutaka incline in the October 2009 Observer. these are nothing short of stunning. The man is a true artist and I can't believe that he doesn't do prints.
Another local modeler/engineer had been reworking an S scale Ja Kit that had been assembled wrong. the model was well put together, but it wasn't 'straight'. There were also problems with the height of the cab. There were comments raise by another modeler that these faults had also been observed in a well known modelers assembled models, which had necessitated a lengthy and fiddly rebuilding process.

This sort of raises another question that I always ponder. what do we expect in a kit, and what are we prepared to 'live with'? From reading the British forums, the answers range from 'it must be perfect, but I'll never assemble it' to 'Its not even close, but if I toss away the chassis and most of the body and add a stack of other parts then it should be fine'. I've never really understood the second one, as surely a manufacturer who wants you to part with your hard earned cash should have done his homework up front.

the evening finished with a beer and some discussion on using servos to mechanise line side models ( A compressed air coaling crane was the intended target)

1 comment:

Kev said...

I guess I sit somewhere in the middle but the main word I'd look for is choice - I might not want to fit a working firehole door but it's nice to have the option whether that means a basic kit and an add-on then that's fine.

The big no for me is not to compromise the scale to fit a proprietary chassis but maybe provide alternate parts for those that wish too (lets not get into EM, P4 and 00 parts.) The other thing I want is for the designer to stick to what they know and let me find other sources for things that they can't do - there was a spate of etched brass kits where everything was etched whether it was better cast, bought in or otherwise sourced. I have folded up axleboxes ;-) - cast is so much more convenient. I could mention a range of cast-pewter wagons with lovely bodies but everything below the solebar gets ditched in favour of finer castings/etched parts.(especially their particularly chunky brake gear.)

Kev