Monday, May 24, 2010

Tracklaying pt V

As I'm adapting a method primarily designed for S scale track, there is a bit of a feeling of one step forward, one step back at the moment, as I try to feel out just how to do things in a smaller scale.

Having a check yesterday, I discovered that there was a tight spot on one of the crossover frogs (badly circled area 1 in the picture). This was that bad that a Da wouldn't run through it. This is mainly due to my badly made 'knuckle' (the place where the blade rails bend). To fix this, I just unsoldered the old rails and then made some new ones with some corrections made. these went in and worked much better.

I'm also not very happy about the way that the frogs go in and their relation to the running rails that head off rearwards (circled area 2). I seem to always have gaps or poor alignments. I think what I will try in the next point is a much longer frog that extends back to the next single sleeper. After everything is in place I can then gap this with a fretsaw at the correct spot, but it will have the correct curvature. It seems like a good idea for now....

(Oh, and the correct answer was not looking just where all the baseboard supports were before drawing the track plan. What a meathead!)

1 comment:

RKBL said...

On the NZ rail chat group there has been a good discussion on the NZR turnout plans.

hmm todays word is Yeshic.