Thursday, May 06, 2010

Steady progress on the southern front

Well, not being quite so encumbered with work (anyone with a part time job that they want filled in Nelson just give me a ring, I could do with the work) at the moment, but suffering with the general malaise I have also struggled to move forward on the various projects. I think its just the onset of winter that's doing it (in this hemisphere anyway).

About the only thing I've done in the last coupe of days is to sort out the track alignment in the Paekakariki loco depot. The main problem I was having was to get the tracks round the back of the fueling point to meet up with the turntable in line with the access track from the other end, while not dipping below my self imposed minimum radius of 600mm. This had proved impossible in my previous attempts, but for some odd reason in the last couple of nights its all come together.

The number of points in this layout still frightens me a bit especially when my last layout (Cass) had 4, and 2 of those were only to provide a rear track for a fiddle yard. I've always been a firm believer in the KISS method of building layouts, so this is well out of my comfort zone. for actuating them I'm seriously considering memory wire, which expands when its heated and can be set up to use this property to actuate points and signals. it also appeals to the scientist in me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Rhys - Memory wire contracts when heated! Lawrence