Wednesday, May 05, 2010

All quiet on the Northern Front

DB says (after some time) (warning, no NZ120 content):

It's been quite a while since I've trodden on the blog and quite a while since I made something in NZ120 now. I did get my backdrop painted on the new module last week but that hardly warrants a post.

So let me waffle pointlessly upon irrelevancies.

I spent last weekend at a trainpiccytakers conference (there's a gathering for every obscure fascination it would seem) and one of my favourite lines from the whole thing was from a prolific photographer from the 70s who has returned to the hobby after an absence of twenty years. He said "When we were young there were all these guys who had great pictures in Trains magazine and then suddenly they stopped getting published. What happened?. Now I know. Life. Life happened"

And so with me. I've gone from working zero hours a week to working 60-70 hours a week (I think I'd make a higher hourly wage at McDonalds). Its spring. The garden requires constant tending. The car needs constant cleaning. The house needs bits painted. There are some train bits in the shed I should really clean up. The list goes on.

But I'd better get onto making some more NZ120 stuff soon. My resin and rubber expires this month and I've only got three more months of usable weather left before things get all hot and humid and awful. And then they'll get all snowy and cold again.

I was blown away by the responses to my previous concerns about NZ's most fragile scale. This blog was originally intended to foster a sense of community, to share and to inspire. I think we all feel a little less alone when we know there are others out there struck with the same afflictions, even if they be as silly as making little models of trains. Great to see more people giving NZ120 a go - on NZ120.org, Earwicker's blog and at the convention

Maybe we're witnessing the second coming (or is it the third?) of NZ120!

1 comment:

Earwicker said...

Sounds familiar. My work has been busy lately, and I haven't been modelling either. I expect my motivation will return at some stage.

Oh, and thanks for reminding me that I should really post a blog update!