Monday, October 06, 2008

So whats on your work bench?


I think It's time I had a tidy up. I can't even find my normal 6" to work in.
(no, this picture has not been staged)

According to statcounter 20% of my visitors have spent longer than an hour browsing the blog. As theres not that much of interest here, you are either on a dial up connection, or slow readers.

Finally does anyone else have any opinions on the A3 module ideas?(or any I just talking to myself in my own wee padded cell?). Kiwibonds has suggested a module of the Otira tunnel sectioned 1/2 way, which by my calculations could result in a module 3m long.
(Mum, thanks for the comments. Does beer count for eating my greens?)

Right, off to download a free 3D CAD program from somewhere.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK, try and explain it to me - bear in mind I've not built a layout for 20 years so can be considered an outsider I guess - but I can't see the point of a module "challenge" myself, whether it be A3 or otherwise, unless it's some sort of motivational exercise, but if you need extra motivation to build, then aren't you in the wrong hobby? And I know you don't need motivating...

ECMT said...

I've come to the conclusion (finally !) that a module system like this is a good idea. I have a module end (return loop) to the standard NZ120 module dimensions and I now realise it's too big to use as part of a home layout. Luke, I think everyone needs motivating now & then. That's probably what I like the most about this blog.

Kiwibonds said...

I like the idea, but I think A3 is probably a bittoo small to be terribly practical for home use.

A standardised end plate/wiring standard would allow people to build modules of ANY length for use at home AND exhibitions. If they want to build one that happens to be 'A3' sized and enter it in a competition, all well and good.

Simple: single track (with optional 2nd, 3rd etc spacing catered for, bolt holes, wing nuts, track mating (6 inch bit of track worked fine in the past), standard wiring plug.