Wednesday, October 15, 2008

My plan for world domination....

Having given up on trying to use an electronic device to convey my thoughts, I've resorted to the good old standby of pencil and paper. Here's my initial proposal for the end plate layout.

The width is a standard piece of A4 paper. The height may seem excessive but I want to give people the option of building scenery below the trackbed as well as above. Remember that a scene may be any length and consist of any number of modules, but the end plates must match. I've put in a footplate as well. This covers the left hand base of each end plate, and gives a positive mounting point so that the bolts are only for horizontal alignment. There will have to be some discussion as to the nature of the joining tracks, and also the thickness of the trackbed, and what the measurement from the footer to the top of the rails is. The double track standard track spacing is taken from a proposal in the December 1990 rag for standards for Nz120 and also Nn3.5.

Seriously guys, I want some input from outside the usual crew, otherwise I'm going to have to go out and find a 6 year old to spot the fatal flaw in my plan. You get such odd looks loitering outside schools....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, for those of us massing like lemmings on the sideline, looking to make the leap....

I'm presuming there hasnt been much thought to a standard endcap material or thickness? As long as the holes are in the right place it should be good, I suppose. I also presume what happens as far as "benchwork" (wood or foam) between the endcaps is entirely up to the builder?

Anonymous said...

What size holes???