Thursday, July 24, 2008

Pondering

Some more thoughts on the last post. I've been asked whats wrong with the current standard as it does allow for larger or smaller modules. Fair enough, but theres still the bugbear of having a track 575mm from the front of the layout for the return rack. I suppose that you could build a narrow bit to carry a single track at the back. However its still fundamentally designed for the good old 2' by 4'. I don't know about you but that's just getting a wee bit big to cart round. I'm more aware of this as I'm not running a car, so have to be able to shift things with a minimum of trouble.
While pondering today at work (Boss is in the US for 2 weeks) I did come up with another reason why I like this new type set up. I'm still not quite sure which side I want to view the layout from. Previous layout have been designed to only see everything from 1 angle. now some modes lend themselves to this, but with others it would be great to be able to get some more interesting angles viewer wise.
I'll also admit that there are several people who have built modules for the old system, who quite rightly don't want to change now. There's allot of work tied up with building something like that, and its hard to start again.
Ah well, my attempt to remake the world has not made it out of the starting blocks. Business as usual I guess.

No comments: