Saturday, January 06, 2024

Slow progress is progress - 4w wagons

 DB might as well continue with the 4 wheelers, since he has a new workbench to test drive.

As mentioned, I have a decent list of tasks to fix a few and improve of my recently unwrapped models, plus completing the new 3D printed ones.

I replaced the busted stakes on an NC, put the second XC on a Peco, and painted yellow number patches on most of these wagons as well as a few black destination chalkboards. 

Funny how these wagons, the details of which were once etched in my mind, are now harder to uncover. I have a few pictures on my website, Ken Lankshear and others have a few on Flickr, and there are a few rolling stock books that have some details (and Pictorial Railways of NZ is a goldmine for the TMS-era modeller), but it took me a while to see where these patches were located on a KS, as I've never made one before. I think I probably put them on the wrong place on the XCs.  

And also stuck some little white plasticard door catches on the KS. These are visible on this (now repainted) grounded body. On the real ones they have a steel rod above them to keep the catches moving in a vertical manner. You might note how the corrugations on this are bevelled and a little finer than most modellers would make them. I should have put those four little horizontal pieces on too, as I did with the Shapeways ZM many years ago, but... forgot.

Also painted that second 3'6 LC and their other two KS tops. Painted the white door catches on my cast KPs too.


3 comments:

Darryl Palmer said...

As the doors on the modern steel wagons, could run full length, or half the length ? the destination patches could almost end up anywhere !

darryl said...

Yes it took me a while to figure that out! Hence why the V shaped dots indicating the doors were closed in the right order could often be a ^

There were also some small white signs on all 4 doors (and one on KP doors - anyone remember what they were? falling goods? don't use forklifts to open doors?

Darryl Palmer said...

yes beware falling goods, tare numbers, distributed load..... so many variations on the theme too.