Saturday, April 23, 2011

Trackmaking pt XXIV

Went along to a local modeling group the other night (as I commented on in the previous blog post). Turned up at the hosts house to be directed out to the shed. The layout was US Ho with a Rail Command digital control (I think its not DCC, but a pre DCC system). the layout had some very nice modeling on it with a very well modeled desert scene. They were a good bunch of guys, but I don't think that the US scene is quite what I'm after. I guess I'm looking for a kit building/scratch building group similar to that which I was a member of in Nelson. However I'm not sure if such a beast exists here in the Manawatu.

In other news, I managed to get out to the Man-sion this afternoon. While waiting for my next order of rail from Woodsworks I figured I could try assembling a point from the code 40 rail that I had on hand. I had planed to use code 40 for the yard tracks leading to the air-rail shed. I had drawn this out at some point, but it appears to have vanished in the move. Here is the spot.


The tracks have to come from the right hand side and then curve round to run parallel to the tracks on the left running past the fulling point to the turntable. Here is the track template.


It is completely different to the previous one where the point was on the curve. I like this one better as there is more space for some other scenes that I want to include. The sleeper placements were then marked out.


Using the sleepers from the 2mm association I then placed them using double side of tape. At this point I was going to lay out exactly what I did, but the blood rushed to the head and before you know it...

I'm in 2 minds about this code 40 rail. Its really fiddly to work with, but on the other had its incredibly nice to look at.

"Mmmmm, Pretty''

2 comments:

RKBL said...

try the Northerb manawatu N gauge club, most of the regions NZ120ers are in the club. Contact Gary Gloag

Anonymous said...

Contact me off group Rhys, at ggloag@paradise.net.nz