Friday, June 05, 2009

Diesel in a day: DFT part 3

DB continues from where we left the last episode....

Now it’s time to start attacking that N scale donor shell for some detail parts. I used the SD40-2 top’s dynamic blisters (sanded down a little to make them a little less angley) and an SD70 fan for the dynamic brake fan (as it’s larger than the dash 2 fans, although you can get away with either). The main intakes can come from almost any American engine shell, but I used the SD70 ones again - they're a little bigger. On the DFT, the one on the port side is longer, extending further aft. Avast landlubbers! Raise the mainsail and deploy the sphincter to leeward! I know these aren’t the 'official' locomotive-navigation terms, but they make far more sense to me than No1 end, A side. Note also the rear horn recess made by pushing the paper panel down into the notch created for it earlier (just north of the south radiator at about 2pm). The DFT roof adornments took longer to make than expected given that they look pretty simple. I scrawked a thickish piece of plasticard for the raised manifold cover (it probably should be a little taller) and used the exhaust port from the SD70 shell after severely thinning it in most dimensions. Close enough.

With the heavy lifting done, I figured it was safe to install the cab, and a minute later it was in place. A nose was then made from thick plasticard and left to set. Cripes, it’s been a long afternoon. Time for dinner methinks. Time is 6:30.
Post culinary replenishment, the nose was sanded to shape and attached, along with a few other detail items. The cab roof was made from very thin aluminium sheet - highly recommended. That cab corner joint looks a little messy toward the bottom in the closeup picture but I don’t remember noticing that at normal magnifications. I hadn't noticed how the laser printer dithered the window rubber surrounds either. Maybe I need glasses.

You may also be able to see how I deployed my 25 year old razor saw to cut a notch along the front of the anticlimber. Later on I'll stick a handrail in there.

Some false rear radiators were made from roofing styrene painted gray, and the see-thru mesh attached with contact and superglue. Here the big roof one is about to go on.

9:25 pm and I'm pooped. Technically that’s the top done in a day. At least the top of the top. Less than a day really given the 1pm start. I should go on to add headstocks and the undergubbins to finish it off... but... the only TV show I watch - Two and a Half Men - is about to start.

It's all about the priorities.

More to follow, so don't touch that dial.

1 comment:

lalover said...

Very innovative Mr Bond!
Makes the smaller scale more approachable from a building perspective.

Surprised at the lack of comments though! Think NZ must have shut down again!