Saturday, January 14, 2023

Wharf V

 As well as doing some thinking (out of the boxes again) there has been a tiny bit of modeling. I've started doing the weathering on the wharf. A drybrush of white followed by a wash of dilute black (I couldn't find a local source of Winsor Newton inks) started to age the wood but I feel that I will need to do some more. The rails got a coat of a Tamiya brown follewed by an Italeri rust wash. This is something I picked up in the local model shop thinking it was something else (ie not reading the "wash" part of the lable). From looking at it in the bottle and using it, it appears to be a thin suspension of a pigment that is corser than normal paint. When dried it does replicate the look of rusty surfaces nicely. I've possibly overdone the runoff onto the wood underneath but the sea tends to be a rather harsh climate for iron.

Not worn enough but a start

I've also quickly assembled the key scenic items on a piece of extruded polystyrene to see how it all fitted.

 

It possibly needs to be a bit longer and the edges need to be round. I will need to work out how I want to model the water.

 

2 comments:

MaverickNZ said...

Boomer Diorama on Youtube has a couple of good videos where he paints his river on his layout. It seems like a good alternative to poured resin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSXTAMBIhOM

Darryl Palmer said...

Toilet paper method, as used by John Whyte ?