Thursday, July 28, 2011

Trackmaking XXXIII

Its always the little things isn't it.

A closer examination of the humble NZR point in a standard yard situation shows us that while the rest of the trackage is buried up to the railhead, there are 6 sleepers visible where the point blades move.

And I suppose I have to replicate this on the model, which does take a bit of time.


In retrospect I'll have to go back and fix these as the sleepers are too bunched. Unsoldering these is going to be fun. I also have to sleeper the mainlines as most of those sleepers can be seen as well. This is definitely not a fun job. Its slow and meticulous, which is something I normally associate with work.

(This is why I have not been making many new toys lately. There's still too much track to lay and tweek.)

4 comments:

Am_Fet said...

To be honest, I dont think 4 out of 5 people on the street would be able to pick the difference. Sure, if you were presenting a model of a point (sorry, grew up with Hornby not Athearn, so they arent "Turnouts") on its own with a supporting picture you would need to make sure its accurate to the Nth degree. But because 1 point is a one of many that make up only a small part of an entire working railway, I really dont think people will be pulling you up on it.

Personally, I didnt realise until you pointed it out. Without a picture of a real point to compare it to, I dont think anyone else could either....we all know there are sleepers exposed around the point blades, but who knows how many or in what positions?

Whoops, rambling...15 hour work day installing new radio system for work...

sxytrain said...

How about getting some styrene cut to simulate the sleepers on the mainline. Slide them under the rail and fix with a spot of glue.

Anonymous said...

I've noticed that NZ track seemed to be 'buried' in pictures. Is it a universal thing, and why is it done that way? If there's a reason I could reasonably use the same method on my european based layout to hide the '00' scale track...

sxytrain said...

Track in yards and industries were filled with fine chip to rail height so that shunting staff could safely walk in the yard without tripping on the rail head or getting footwear caught.