Thursday, February 17, 2011

Its Gorn!!!

Am_Fet writes:

In between writing begging letters at work over the last few days for enough silver coins to allow me to buy some new servers (which seems to have kept me busy since January), I was idly scrolling through some photos and came across this wee gem courtesy of Drew:



Those of you who know me wont be surprised to know that it is a picture of empty milkie 547 at Patea. Taken from the oppersite bank of the Patea river, it looks past the cheese store on the left towards the old wrecked freezing works in the distance....

ITS GONE!! Who flogged the freezing works? Where did that large lump of twisted metal and concrete gone with the graceful chimney forlornly pointing at the sky?



When I took up the matter with Drew, he said: "The demolition contractors did a fine job cleaning the site. A bit too good actually as they were supposed to leave the chimney as a monument, but it came down and a big sh*tfight broke out between the council and the iwi as the iwi wanted the monument but the council didnt... blah blah.."

And so another part of my perfect little world crumbles into dust. To be honest, I'd rather not have to model it (or at least paint it on a backscene)....but I seem to have firmly nailed my colours to the years around 2009 when the most diverse loco liveries could be seen....and export traffic still flowed north to the port of New Plymouth.

Still, its highly tempting....

No comments: