Monday, February 16, 2009

Another week

I would have thought that the standards post would have provoked a bit more discussion, well, any discussion. I could have proposed anything and you would all have gone along with it. I wonder if I now propose that you send me all your money that would work.

I've not had the energy to put finger to keyboard this week with a set of interesting/ entertaining/frustrating things going on at work. One day I'll write the story of a startup company, assuming it doesn't get nailed by lawsuits.

I have been thinking though about the march of technology and its growing influence on the hobby. Will one day the raw skill of a talented craftsman be outdone by a pimply youth with a computer and an RP machine (you can exchange pimply youth for middle age balding bloke). I've found recently its been harder to start projects as I keep thinking 'I could learn CAD instead of picking up the knife and actually doing something'. It can kill the modeling bug to the point where you start painting 1:300 scale Russian tanks (a long story).

In other news the local polytech is not running CAD courses for the first part of the year, though I have yet to offer to teach them to home brew beer in exchange but I don't think its going to work. I might just have to go back to teaching myself. Is there a CAD for dummies book out yet?

I'll also tell you all that I'm off on Thursday to Perth for a wedding, and will not be back for a week. I'm contemplating turning over the keys to the regular contributors, but I'm worried they will take my blog ram raiding, and I'll come back to find a burn out pile of electrons and a pitchfork and torch wielding mob of the mainstream modeling community on the comments page.

No comments: