Monday, November 14, 2011

Sort of done

Well, after the weekends ramblings, back to something a bit more concrete. I got to sit down at the weekend and have a crack at the fiddly bits of scissors crossover for Waihao forks. This did take a bit of doing. Doing a normal crossover involves a bit of unsoldering and remeasuring, and when it comes to something like this its just a case of making it up as you go along. Along the way I had to reset several crossing frogs, redo the point blades, and shift other bits of rail back and forward to get the geometry roughly right. I still have to do the throwbars at the moment, but its essentially finished.


The end result is something that will accept both finescale and NMRA wheel sets. I'm not sure if I'd attempt another one though. However I've reached the point that working with code 40 rail no longer holds any fears.

6 comments:

Amateur Fettler said...

Code 490??? WOW!!!!!! :-)

That really is a stunning piece of work, to build a scissors crossover with 4 curved points must be a first....A possible entrant in the trackwork section at the next convention?

How well does the crossover work when pushing a wagon from (looking at the photo) bottom left to top right?

Amateur Fettler said...

Damn...he edited it... :-)

Motorised Dandruff said...

Of corse I fixed it!

Things run nicely in all directions, though I don't have a 4 wheeled wagon to test it with (yet...)

sxytrain said...

Looks very nice.

Mini-Me-Wagons said...

Patience my young padawan
A 4 wheeler is on the way....

Anonymous said...

What's the minimum radius on the Wahao Forks points?