Monday, August 25, 2008

The future? Or just a touch of the vapours...

On the list in the last couple of days; rapid prototyping is back. While no real progress in NZ120 has been reported, Paul has at least done some work, and having seen the bits for a 9mm dubs A, I must admit I'm impressed. However I'm still fighting the urges to learn CAD quite successfully. It will be interesting to see how the La he's planning pans out.
As an offshoot of this the possibility of making a De has reared its head vampire-like again. We will now proceed over the next week to hash out the best mechanism options. There are none. The Farish class 20 is too expensive to start with,and both it and the Minitrix FM12-44 have the wrong bogie's and underframe(Ahhh, that feels better out). Now, just between you, me and the lamppost, there seems to be a blindingly obvious solution. Its easy to buy the wheel's, gears and worm drives from KATO and Atlas, and it should not be beyond the realms of possibility to put these ready made bits into a RP chassis with correct bogie's etc. It doesn't seem like a big jump, but maybe I know nothing.

1 comment:

ECMT said...

" It doesn't seem like a big jump, but maybe I know nothing."

I agree it's not a big jump, and yes you would know, but who will step up to the plate ? What about RP bogie frames in the short term ???