Saturday, June 14, 2008

A flurry of projects

Yes, action a plenty on the workbench today.

First up, the Da gets painted. After a bit of discussion with the brains trust, I decided to go with Humbrol gloss red 19 for the main colour, and gloss grey 40 for the roof. I'll admit it looks a bit bright, but there's still a fair bit of weathering to go, and its not going to remain like that for long. Gloss paint also provides a good base for decals. I'll go with 1410 from the numbers provided as I once helped repaint the roof one saturday)

(Darryl has some interesting comments on colour, and its a complex mix right down to who's film you use. Essentially unless you have a paint flake to match, its all a crap shoot anyway)


Second up: I scored a motor tool from work. Its not a dremel as its spanish, which makes the instruction manual quite entertaining . So this afternoon I cut out the boiler slot ( with a 'disco para cortar' no less, which I think is spanish for spinning disk shattering into 1000 pieces) and soldered on the firebox wrapper. It's still a bit tight, and will need to be insulated. Split frame is a blessing and a curse after all.


Lastly, the project that dare not speak its name. I've had 4 minitrix 4-6-2's mechs for a while now, and have converted one to pick up on both sides which was no mean feat. And its now got a boiler and running boards.

I suppose I'll have to start looking at building tenders at some point.

No comments: