Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Wagon thoughts

I've been mulling over some ideas for wagon underframes. I don't think anyone will ride in any time soon with any RP ones (I would love to be proved wrong), and I'm not sure if its really needed. At the end of the day the wagon underframe is to hold the wagon body the right distance off the rails, and stay on the track. I'll add a 3rd one here-look right from a distance. The Peco underframes (god bless Mr Pritchhard but..) are too tall by about 1mm, and the wheels sit below the underframes. While NZ ones hide behind them in part.
One possible answer comes from the pages of my notebook, where all sorts of weird and wonderful schemes hide, some never destined to see the light of day (and its probably a very good thing)

These are unashamedly copied from the British, who seem to have developed an amazing cottage industry for these things far ahead of what any other country has to offer (or maybe they do and I can't understand the language).

Now the more knowledgeable of you will say "so why don't we join the British 2mm association and get all these bits ready made?"
The answer is that it costs 20 quid a year (or 50 pesos) to be a member, before you even start shelling out the cash for all the goodies, and at heart I'm a tightwad.

Anyhoo, theres my thoughts on the subject, you may do with them as you wish.

Update: Amateur fettler has proided me with this diagram of the S scale G horse boxe underframe assembly. this is a far better demonstration of what I'm talking about.

3 comments:

Andrew Hamblyn said...

So would that be a etch that can be folded up for retrofitting to a Peco chassis, or are they for fitting to the underside of a wagon used with imitation sole bars to look like they have purpose???

A folded etch for containing needlepoint N gauge axles would be quite handy to have around eh?

Drew

Motorised Dandruff said...

For fitting to the undeside of a wagon top, much like the S scale kits.

Indeed it would be useful :v)

Amateur Fettler said...

The best etched chassis I think I have seen in terms of ease of construction (and so probably quite suited for Nz120) in 3/16ths is the old Branchlines "G", where the headstocks and solebars folded down from the base while the W irons (similar to what the head druff has drawn) slotted in between them. It works because it has the "full width floor" as part of the body, reasoning (correctly) that it doesnt need to be part of the underframe. And it takes 5 minutes to put together....I will try and get a copy of the plans online to show how it looks.