Sunday, May 03, 2009

NEXT!

Right, onto the next project then. Today I started work on the chassis modifications for my pair of Ed's. This involved adding the leading and trailing trucks. The single axle one was reasonably easy. Brass bar with holes drilled at the correct places and then add the bearing at the correct location (I still think that the model of 101 in the latest journal just looks wrong, but I've just found in my hard drive collection a couple of pictures of the smae model and the wheel spacing is correct.). The bogie at the other end is a bit more of a problem. to start with the pin provided is not only part of the metal frame, but both sides of the metal frame. This means that the main bar must be plasticard. The actual bogie is soldered up from brass bar and tube again, and this took a bit longer to get right. The biggest problem is that there is a piece of the frame that hangs down underneath which is right where the attachment pin needs to sit. It also fouls the wheels.

This means I'm going to have to take the entire mech apart to machine some metal out of this area, while keeping the bolt that holds that end together in place. Bugger.
(Before any clever bastard suggests turning the mech round, the big bulky bit then sticks out past the end of the cab which would mean even more milling, thank you very much)

I'd have some pictures of this tonight, but the lady of the house has left the camera at work, so I will leave you with a picture of the real thing. Can anyone remind me why I'm making something so butt ugly?

"I can almost smell the asbestos"

4 comments:

lalover said...

Not ugly, functionally appropriate!
waiting to see if you this project is completed in 5 weeks! Good luck!

mickaefi! is that the Irish version of an antivirus?

Motorised Dandruff said...

I counted 6 weeks from go to whoa. there will be a bit more involved in tis build as theres no kit, and theres 2 to be made (a Hutt and an Addington). I did work out last night how I'll actually mount the top though.

Andrew Hamblyn said...

Could you not drill a new hole in the wedge shaped piece below the motor behind the drivers and then lop off said existing protrusion?

Drew

Motorised Dandruff said...

Thats engineering you are talking there, son, and thats a topic we here at Chateau dandruff don't like to touch on (like religion or politics). I've looked at the whole thing again last night and I think I just need to dremel off about 1-2mm and it should all be good.