Saturday, May 16, 2009

Keep Cool 'til After School: XC Ventilated Van

DB says: I’ve always liked these wee things - the little white box wagons looked nice in a sea of red oxide, and they survived through the 80s so I figured I could do with a few. As they’re so fiddly, I figured I’d make one and cast it.

The master was made from wood-look plasticard with a few holes cut out for the ventilation slots. These were layered on top of a thicker plasticard backing to keep everything straight and some home-scribed vent pieces stuck in. The door and other details were layered on from various shapes of plasticard.

Based on the straightness and squareness of this, I may have been inhaling a few too many resin fumes this week. A few castings were made (more on that in some future episode), and here’s the finished result (below) on a Peco chassis. Remember these pics are several times life size and it looks a little grander from the formally legislated viewing distance.


4 comments:

Amateur Fettler said...

And the total construction time??

Kiwibonds said...

The master was done over two evenings, but it was faster than expected as its fairly complicated - probably 2-3 hours of actual work.

I see from looking at a picture of one last night that the plan I used (from the NZMRG I think) excludes a piece of horizontal strapping across the door. Drat.

lalover said...

Darryl, can I suggest that you give it a very fine grunge wash, so that al those crevices still out!
In the last years of service they liked a little like an old garden shed!!!!

lalover said...

sorry... "Crevices STAND out.."