Sunday, July 07, 2024

Only CE CEs are tasting like theees! - 3

 DB says:

The next step with the CEs was to seal up the decals and the laser printed paper "decals." 

I usually brush on clear varnish, but feared that might smear my red stripes, so did a light spray of Dullcote instead and this doesn't seem to have upset anything. Not sure what they put in that stuff, but best used outdoors due to the stink. Ask me how I already knew this, but never seem to learn.

The last big visible task is to insert some coal. I've never gotten around to doing this with any of my CBs or CWs in the past, although I did try an experiment with some of that builders expanding foam in a CB a long time ago thinking that would provide a light 'base' on which to apply a thin layer of coal. The problem being... it's hard to control as it expands...

So some sort of false floor is needed. The CE is more complicated because with its cylindrical cross section, any 'false floor' will be wider than the top opening, and then you have all those internal ribs to deal with. 

By trial and error I made up a false floor former for one side out of plasticard that reached inside from one curved inside surface to the ribs on the other side (then made three more using this as a master), and then a smaller piece to fit in the other side. Again using the 'master' to mark out where to cut the rib slots. 

These were stuck in place mainly with friction and using plenty of PVA used to plug up the worst of the remaining holes to prevent coal dropping under the false floor and being trapped there forever...
Coal was added and stuck down using isopropyl alcohol (to wet things) and then diluted PVA.
The coal I have is pretty chunky stuff from PECO. I must look out for some finer stuff for a topcoat next time I'm in the big smoke, as my CE prototype pics show very fine coal.

Remaining jobs include adding weight and painting the bogies. Now I'm kicking myself for getting rid of all that lead off our previous roof....

3 comments:

Peter Bryant said...

Get your hands on some real coal, place in empty icecream container and proceed to bash with hammer. You will have the real thing in whatever scale you desire depending on how long you bash away for. In my experience a minute or two. I also taped the bottom with clear packing tape to reinforce the container. Then pva & a drop of dishwashing liquid to set in place. Worked a treat for my 17xQ wagons in 1:24 scale.

Darryl - Linesider said...

Good idea. I must try to reduce pulverise of my peco coal

0-4-4-0T said...

I have turned grains of the right size into coal just by placing where the coal is needed, waiting until the ballast glue has dried, and then painting the dried mass matt off-black.