Tuesday, July 11, 2023

RailX done pt 1

So another RailX has come and gone. 2 days of modeling, talking and borax poking. As usual I was part of the Cabbage Flying Circus, and I spent the first day making track. This time round it was the trackwork for the landing on the Huia tramway. I was working with code 40 rail, which I really hate doing as its just too small. To cap it all off I had forgotten my glasses and I was essentially working by feel. Strangely enough this seemed to work fine and things just rattled along. I must try it more often. The Sunday was a bit of tidying up the soldering, and then a fair bit of chatting to old friends (again, because I couldn't see anything).

 Micheal Gee had brought another 3D print, this one for a phase I Da. Comparing it with the 25 year old Etch Cetera Da's...


We immediately noticed it was a bit taller in the car body, but below the footplate the height is about right. The long hood could also do with a bit of chamfering between the roof and sides. Good enough for me to plan to order a phase III Da. 

There was an American layout just across from us. Now normally I have about as much interest in US prototype as the GDP of Kazakstan. However I can apreciate a well observed layout. The lighting rig drew some apreciative comment as well.

The lighting rig was very nice too.
It was also setup with a JMRI interface and was controlled by cellphone app. It was nice too see the system work live though I don't see the point of being able to throw the switches from the handset.

2 comments:

Lewis Holden said...

Interesting re the DA, I've had feedback about the chamfering being slightly off - seems it's either too steep or not steep enough.

RAB said...

Having stood on top of the real thing, it should be about 45 degrees