Saturday, May 06, 2023

How many boxes over is that?

 I've been kicking this around over the last few days with a collection of wise asses men.

Could you model narrow gauge in NZ120 using Z scale mechanisms?
I get notifications from one of the Japanese model shops as their bits can be quite interesting. One was for a Z scale mech which is dirt cheap (and I didn't think Z scale was a Japanese thing). 6.5mm is 2'7" in TT so close enough to 2'6".
Dimensions are ....tiny.
And what to do with it?
Well, a powered small steam loco is out I think. However a powered wagon pushing the train round would work.
And so we come to the Takaka Tramway, one of the very few narrow gauge lines in New Zealand. Built to move wood and farm product down the valley to the wharf at Waitapu.
Plenty of space to hide a motor. A better option would be in the carriage the line had which would look OK attached to the loco all the time.
The loco itself is not much but was aparently described as "colourful". It could sit on a free bogie with side skirts to cover up the lack of wagly bits (and taking me back to my modeling of 40 years ago).
The wagons are not much either.
 The scenes worth modeling include the main street which is quite plain.
 

A look in the bits tonight gives me 5 x 1m pieces of code 40 rail (more finger cuts I guess) and enough PCB sleepers to manage (though if any readers are members of the 2mm Society I'd be interested in a shopping expedition). There's not alot of pointwork to build (yah!).

Its also been pointed out that N scale (the US version at 1:160, why ) 3'6" scales to 6.7mm which is good enough for for Z guage track. I do wonder if anyone (apart from Mr G) has had a crack at this? Its not something I recollect having seen anywhere.

2 comments:

MaverickNZ said...

I had at one point considered doing something like this. Making an NZ120 module of the Taylor river bridge in Blenheim, and using Z scale track/mechanisms for the Riverside Railway that is in the riverbed below the rail bridge. Figured noone would nit pick about .3mm incorrect gauge of the "2ft" track.

0-4-4-0T said...

Hmmm. I might get distracted by wee mechanisms like the one in the top illustration...