Thursday, May 18, 2023

Housing

Back in 2017 I reviewed a 3D print of a NZ Railways house. This week I've had a go at finishing it. Starting off with a coat of paint on the walls and a bit of weathering. I wasn't sure what colour to choose so went with something suitably drab and ugly (with a red door). The foundation just got painted as concrete.

Next was a better roof. A long time ago I used Peco N scale plastic roofing as a mold for tinfoil to make enough corrugated iron for the roof of the Dunedin railway station. This time round I had a far smaller area and a few more choices. JTT has a wide selection of plastic sheets (which I think are for architectural models) and as I couldn't decide I purchased the N scale and 1:100 sheets. I should have gone with my gut as I thought the N scale sheet would give the look that I wanted (anyone want larger scale cottugated sheets?). Some carefull measuring gave me a sabot to fit over the top of the printed roof (with a hole for the chimney).

Almost glued it before I remembered to take the picture.
I then painted the roof the same colour as the framing (ie I had no idea what else to do). It also got a weather including rust stains.

I'm just trying to find some adequate clear plastic in "der room" stash to use for windows and I can seal everything up. It needs a few more details and I'm buggered if I can think of a way to do guttering.

I'm now tempted to buy another couple to create a small town street scene.

3 comments:

0-4-4-0T said...

For guttering in NZ120, I've always used half-round styrene rod.

beaka said...

the roof has come up really well. great weathering too

sxytrain said...

Ive used the Evergreen stryrene 1/4 round 0.75mm (Code 246) for guttering on the buildings I've done and 0.6 brass wire for down pipes.