Saturday, December 03, 2022

The graveyard

 A comment from SteveF on my last blog post seemed to have the expectation that I was planning to build a layout based on my idea. The honest truth is that while its a layout I would love to build, I'm just not in a position to build it. There are a pile of incomplete layouts on the property ahead of this and having one more wouldn't help.

Paekakariki has been dormant since we moved in 9 years ago. While I do look at historical photos and further models, unless I win lotto realistically it's not going to happen. There's a lot of models to build just on the electric side of the layout and the steam side will need a serious amount of money to build the locos required. It's a "sunk cost" project that maybe its time to cut it loose to a fool someone else. I would not be parting with any of the rolling stock for it BTW.


Higher up on the "possibly completable" scale is my wharf layout. The basic trackwork and backdrop are done and the only major job is to do the wharf piles (for which I have found a plan) and the layout base. Heres the wharf sitting behind a layout I had forgotten I had.

The freighter is sitting safely in the cupboard.

Finally there is the On30 layout that I've been working on for 10 years. Again it hasn't had anything done to it since I moved rooms a few years back.

So, who else out there has a pile of 1/2 finished or abandoned projects?

 

8 comments:

Darryl Palmer said...

Hmmmm what are you saying, that modellers build multiple layouts without completing any !! :-)

Actually rather than cast exspersions, I'll fess up.

Two layouts on the go, with a third planned.....

Anonymous said...

I have two layouts finished but in need of refurbished rollingstock (which will be easier with a new NZ120 manufacturer now online), one layout nearly finished, one under active construction, and another layout to redo the scenery for when time is available. And none of the above are located at my place. I also have five essentially completed layouts at home, a few more under construction at home, and dream of having some more home layouts finished. I'm not a fan of big layouts; I like them to be small enough to complete.

Lewis Holden said...

Thanks for the plug anon! Yes we're now online at: https://www.3foot6models.com

Unfortunately, I'm moving house again, which means my HOn3.5 layout will be scrapped and most of the train stuff will go into storage until I sort out a new shed for it all (don't worry the 3D printers won't be going away though!)

Cheers,

Lewis

Michael Gee said...

Make your next layout more portable, Lewis. Saves a tragic loss of modelling effort.

MaverickNZ said...

I currently have 2 NZ120 modules that are at the white polystyrene desert stage ready for track laying.
I knew if i wasnt careful I would have 10 half started layouts (coz i already have dozens of unfinished non model projects). I got into a bit of planning paralysis till I finally decided what I wanted to do and got started.
Im planning on making 2 run around loops so I can do continuous running while I work on the rest of it. Eventually it will have 5 modules for the full yard I am doing. Im using most of the principals from the Freemo-N standard but modified to suit NZ120 which mainly means adjusting the track spacing at this stage.

Anonymous said...

I've always had the imagination as well as the dreams of several layouts but could never build them all. I could just not part with years or thousands of hours of bulding. Some of us can, but I never uderstood that. Consequentially, I have now focussed on one, just one, now that I have some space, and possibly a bit more time. Construction begins after Christmas. Just the one. Honest. Loved your Paekak layout BTW. And all the rolling stock that was built in prep for it. Plus it was quite exciting - a bit like a Netflix series that leaves you hanging at the end of Season 1 without any sign of Season 2.
SteveF

RAB said...

Yes, its just a pity I don't have a Netflix sized budget.....

Anonymous said...

I keep thinking I should really chase up Cabbage and get the Waihao Forks module off him. All of the drawings and planning has been done for the complete layout, and Ive even got a huge pile of N gauge track out in the man cave.

Pity I stepped on my glasses on Saturday...

Am_Fet