Sunday, August 22, 2021

The DS kit; On with the chassis

 Another "first in a long time" moment today.

I fired up the soldering iron and did a small job on the Ds. I've made a start on the etched brass chassis

A long time ago I purchased some bits from the 2mm association with the deluded notion that I was going to build an F with them. Fast forward to last week and I dug everything out just to see what I had. First job was to solder in the bearings. The holes in the sideframes had to be opened out a fraction for a snug fit. I then applied some solder paste around the edge of the holes, inserted the bearings and applied the iron.

Just as tidy as I ever was
I put the flanges on the inside of the frames to stop the wheels shorting on the frames which will be electrically dead.

From the other side I will have to do a bit of careful cleaning up with a file.

Note that as I mentioned here, the frames are for a standard gauge BR shunter. The plan from here is to do some frame spacers to take into account the wider than prototype wheels, then go from there. All seat of the pants stuff and no computers involved.

5 comments:

Lewis Holden said...

Awesome! Welcome back :)

sxytrain said...

Welcome back to a little nz120 dabble. Great seeing your models at Palmerston North in July.

Anonymous said...

Excellent to see you back. Thankyou for many many past inspirations. Looking forward to more. SteveF (Frederick Carlsen)

RAB said...

Lewis,in three months you will probably be asking me to leave again.
Thanks again Russel for letting my locos get a bit of a leg stretch. I must have a look at the Da's to see if they will run. 1410 hasn't been the same since Cabbage dropped it a few years ago.

Lewis Holden said...

Haha not with the frequency I change scales, I will probably join you in NZ120 again... :D