Saturday, June 24, 2023

Saturday at the workbench

 A bit more work on the EMU set over the last couple of days. I've rounded the endswhile not removing any detail (I think...). I also sanded the round roof ventilators off and smoothed the sides down to remove the raised rim round the windows.


In an "hmm, thats odd" observation, the plans show that the corners of the windows were rounded for the 1949 stock (40 Dm and 71D's, surely Em/E would have made more sense?). However every photo I can find from the 60's and 70's shows the window corners to be square. 

UPDATE having a hard hunt I can now find rounded windows as well, but the square windows are too prevalent for it to be just the 1938 (6 Dm and 6D) or the 1946 (3 Dm and 2 D) stock. Plus both types of windows turn up with the 1949 EE bogies. Its all very odd.

It would be so much easier if we didn't do any research
The plus is that I was thinking about filing all the windows square, but now I can avoid that (and it was going to be a right pain to do)

1 comment:

0-4-4-0T said...

A possibility is that the windows were all originally square, and divided in two across the middle, with handles in the middle of each window that allowed the top half of the window to be wound down. In the 70s or 80s, these old windows were replace by newer ones with rounded corners, that leaked less, and stopped people sticking their heads out for better views. At the same time the proper cyclops headlights were replaced by smaller double headlights and the surrounding end roof shape modified to suit. Would this fit your data?
(As a childe, I liked being able to wind the windows up and down; I also thought the new "bus style" windows were poorer for ventilation.