Thursday, September 09, 2021

Precision engineering

 Another post from the being at home collection.

Today I did another small job on the Johnston. The center wheel on the loco needs to be smaller as on the real thing its actually the jackshaft drive.

Now given the complete lack of anything other than a power drill for turning round objets, the wheel assembly was split and chucked up. I then clamped the drill between my knees, squeezed to fire it up and then went carefully with the file.

One side done

Both sides done 

The wheelset was then installed back in the chassis

Should do the job. Unforunately due to the design there was only enough traction tire whels to do one wheelset. on the other hand there were several later Johnston locos which were 0-6-0's ( including a tank loco I think) in case I want to make another one.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are the newly small wheels getting traction tires put on them?

RAB said...

No.
I have a long abiding hate for traction tires. Theres nothing that can't be fixed traction wise with enough weight and properly running wagons.